Monday, September 28, 2009

{Hospital}

As many of you know my little Daxton was in the hospital about a week and a half ago overnight. I just wanted everyone to know the full story.

It was Thursday, the 17th and Daxton had just eaten about 6:30 and then spit up some. Jerrmey came home not long after that from work and was there while we ate dinner. He then had to go back out to work to check on some things so he left a little before 8. As soon as he left I gave both of the kids a bath and got them ready for bed. I laid Daxton down for a little bit while I got Dylyn settled watching a movie.
When Dylyn was watching her movie I picked Daxton up because he was crying and put him over my shoulder. As soon as I got him up there he spit a ton. He then acted like he was choking on it and couldn't breath. I sucked out his nose and throat with the suction bulb and he would settle down, but after just a few seconds he would choke the same again. I did this for about 15 minutes or so at home and finally decided that he wasn't going to come out of it on his own.
I called Jerrmey and told him I was going to the ER. He had just barely gotten on location so he had to talk to somebody and then come back home as soon as he could. I shooed Dylyn into the front seat of the Jeep and I held Daxton and drove the 3 blocks to the hospital. I got to admitting and the girl was in the back with someone else and said, "I'll be there in a minute." I then started patting Daxton's back harder to get her attention and when she came up front she immediately took us back.
They hooked him up the machines that took his vitals and his heartrate was 225 (Because he wasn't breathing well the heart speeds up to compensate). It was terribly scary. His oxygen was down in the 70s. He would just tense up and spit bubbles because he couldn't swallow his own saliva. They had to keep sucking out his mouth and throat and as soon as they did that he would calm down. They came to take his blood to test for RSV, but it wasn't that. They did a chest x-ray and his lungs were clear. They did a soft tissue scan of his throat to see if there was anything blocking his airway, but nothing. He had breathing treatments through the night just to make sure his airways stayed open. They let me feed him and finally at 11:00 or so they admitted us and moved us onto the floor in a room. By this time he only had to have the oxygen monitor hooked up to him.
It is definitely the most terrifying thing I have experienced in my life. Jerrmey stayed the night in the hospital with us on the fold out bed even though he had to work the next day. He's such a great dad and was very worried about his little man. I laid on the bed next to the monitor and the bassinet and watched his oxygen level for most of the night.
The next morning Dr. S came into the hospital room and took a look at him. He said he seemed to be doing fine then. He explained that sometimes the acid that comes up when they spit will cause their airways to constrict. Daxton has always had a wheezy noise and Dr. S has told us it is because he has small passages. So his already small passages were constricted and he couldn't breath or swallow anything. He put him on half of a prevacid pill a day to help reduce the amount of acid that is in his stomach. He seems to be doing great now, but that sweet little baby boy of mine scared me to DEATH!! I have already told him that he is in big trouble if he ever does it again! ;)
Poor Dylyn through all of this, she sat on the hospital bed with me while I cried and she gave me a WET WILLY!! What a sweetie, I guess she was just trying to cheer me up a little bit. My parents came about 9 that night to pick her up so she could go to bed. The next morning when they came back to the hospital my mom said that when they pulled into the parking lot she said, "Momma, crying." So hopefully I didn't traumatize her too much!
I am very thankful for all of my family. Having something like this happen really helps you to appreciate what you have been blessed with and not take things for granted. My parents were such a great help and I would like to thank them again. I love my family very much and am so grateful that we are all healthy now.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so glad he's doing alright now! I keep thinking about you guys! We miss you lots. I think the older kids just know what to do when Mommy is crying cause Riley tries to make me laugh or smile when I'm crying too!

Jeff and Jen said...

I am so glad he is okay. Sick kids can be so stressful. It's so nice to have a supportive family that can help.